Who Are We?
Spooky Doorway is a small award-winning fully-remote video-game studio based in Ireland. We’re best known for our first game, the point and click adventure The Darkside Detective. We’re currently working on The Darkside Detective: Season 2 and a new IP.
Who We’re Looking For
We’re looking to hire an experienced Unity developer for a one-year contract (with possibility of extension) to help us with our current line up of projects. We are seeking a practical and skilled coder that will take part in every aspect of the development of both games. We’re not looking for “rockstars”, “ninjas” or “wizards”, we just want a nice person to work with who has a good grasp of their own capabilities and can be realistic in their timeframes for deliverables. No over-promisers and under-deliverers, please, we’re too delicate for that sort of thing.
This is for late-dev / post-release support and assistance with post-release updates, so you’ll need to be comfortable with onboarding to an existing codebase. Our current lead is here to help but their time will be limited by release, so you will need to be able to self-manage and motivate. A willingness to ask questions will be crucial during the on-boarding phase, which will run from hiring until the end of September as that is when our current lead goes on maternity leave 🙂
- One year contract position (possibility of extension)
- Remote work
- 40 hour week with flexible hours
- Salary to be defined depending on your profile
- Position available immediately
Required Skills And Experiences
- Proficient in Unity, preferably in the production of games
- Experience and strong knowledge of C# for Unity
- Experience with source control with Unity, preferably git
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work to fixed deadlines
- Ability to work as a member of a team
- Strong problem solver
- Experience integrating in-house code with external SDKs and APIs (console, platform, etc)
- As we’re a remote team, fluency in English is required (though native speaking not required)
Beneficial Skills And Experiences
- Experience working with Unity plugins (Adventure Creator in particular would be a huge boon)
- Have you maybe done some open source work?
- Shipped one or more titles
- Ideally to more than just Desktop
- Passionate about game development
- Experience with agile development
- Knowledge of optimisation and performance in Unity
- Experienced in writing and modifying shaders
- Experience in a lead dev role
We think it’s nice to know what to expect when applying for a job. Our plan is give a short window for applications to come in, then pick out the most suitable candidates and arrange interviews with them. The interviews usually consist of an hour-long chat and may have a short live-test in the middle. If a longer, follow-up test is required we will compensate you for your time. After all that we should be in a position to make an offer, after which anyone else we interviewed will be made aware that the position has been filled.
Please send your CV to jobs [at] spookydoorway [dot] com with the subject “Unity Developer” and include a link to examples of your work including source code.
We’d love to hear from as diverse a pool of talent as possible so please send your CV and share liberally!
We expect to fill this position soon so get your details to us ASAP!