Position: Lead Game Designer
Contract/For Hire: Full-time
NUKKLEAR is an independent game development studio based in Hannover with team members working remote from all around the world. We are looking for our next full-time Lead Game Designer to join the team and work on our next AAA title within the DUNE-Franchise.
As a Lead Game Designer at NUKKLEAR, your day-to-day tasks involve preparing and presenting high- to low-level design goals from and to the director’s board, designing features and taking them through the full development cycle from high-level design to shippable quality as well as maintaining and balancing them.
• Efficient communication of design goals
• Understanding of high-level design request and being able to translate them into low-level design documents
• Taking full ownership and responsibility for features and keeping an eye on dependencies and deadlines
• Collaborate across disciplines and teams to make sure that the features are designed and implemented in the best possible way
• Hands on in-engine work with balancing, prototyping and such
• Balance parameters in the engine and with the help of spreadsheets
• Be as a source of truth for the dev-team, keep an overview of the project and support when questions arise
• Lead a group of designers, managing their workload as well as supporting & mentoring them
• Supervise the design process, and ensure that communication across the teams is clear and structured
• Participate as part of a group of leads, and actively facilitate the decision-making process with stakeholders
• 5+ years of experience in Game Design roles, at least 2 years in a Lead Design role
• Previous experience as a Game Designer in an AAA environment
• Experience with mentorship and development of designers
• Strong understanding of agile development processes, workflows, and tools
• Great understanding of game design fundamentals: game systems, balancing, flow, pacing, motivation, player guidance, etc.
• Great understanding of what makes a gameplay experience engaging
• Great collaboration and problem-solving skills
• Self-reliance, self-motivation, good communication skills, and team-player attitude
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
• Extensive knowledge of UE4 or another comparable AAA game engine
• Strong knowledge of scripting languages, preferably UE4 Blueprint System
• Experience in designing features related to vehicle combat
• Extensive knowledge in open-world, survival, crafting and MMORPG genres
• Experience working remote across different time zones
• Permanent remote position – work anywhere you want, within the core hours of the CEST time zone
• Work with an experienced international team
• A unique opportunity to work on an established Sci-Fi License
• Flexible work-life balance
• 26-30 Vacation days a year
International applications are welcome, but relocating to Germany or eligibility to freelance from inside the EU are preferred.
Please send your complete application documents including work samples, your portfolio, CV, your earliest start date and your salary expectation.