This is a 3-month contract with the possibility to extend and the potential for you to join our Hydra Heads team and work on many projects with us.Tiny Hydra is on a mission for a crunch-free games industry with increased opportunities for professionals, and we’re looking for a Senior Network Engineer to join our team. You will have the opportunity to gain new contacts and experiences from working on projects for a variety of game companies. The Senior Network Engineer serves as the product owner for network systems on game development teams making rich multiplayer experiences. We are looking for a senior engineer for multiple projects and platforms, who can own the design of network architecture, support the Lead Engineer in decision-making regarding project infrastructure, and mentor junior team members. What you’ll be doing:
- Developing systems related to networking and multiplayer gameplay within UE4.
- Integrate with one or more Online Subsystems (like Steam).
- Debugging and optimizing network systems for optimal latency and bandwidth utilization.
- Adapting third-party tools, libraries, and APIs for networking
- Advise team members on development techniques, technologies, and best practices.
- Create or improve tools as necessary to support product development.
- Mentoring less experienced developers on the team so they understand how multiplayer systems work.
- 3 to 5 years of experience with UE4.
- Experience with Unreal’s Online Subsystems and session API.
- Minimum 4 years of experience developing server architecture and applications for online console and/or PC video games.
- Deep understanding of client-server and P2P architecture, scalability, and security considerations.
- Expertise in C++, sockets, UE Servers, and Server Replication.
- Understanding of networking protocols including TCP/IP, DHCP, DNS, and SNMP
- Fluent in English and excellent written and verbal communication and documentation skills
Nice to have:
- III or AAA PC and Console development experience.
- Experience with online backend services like Edgegap and PlayFab.
How will your workweek look?
Whether you’re a night owl or an early riser, our work hours are flexible, as long as you get the work done and are available for a few co-working hours each working day. We host bi-weekly game nights on Discord with our gaming community Funbase on the weekends. We also have Friday game jam sessions for those not actively working on external projects. Our structure is flat and our atmosphere informal. Just a small, close-knit team!
Statement of inclusion
Tiny Hydra believes that diversity, inclusion, and equity are essential to building an inspiring and effective workplace. We want every team member to feel truly valued and honored for their unique stories and identities. We strive to ensure that a clear commitment to these values is at the core of every Tiny Hydra experience.