We are looking for exceptional people who share our mission: to reinvent how we measure human potential. At Imbellus, we build simulation-based assessments that evaluate how people think instead of what they know, for use by the education system and employers. We believe our society must prioritize developing minds that do what computers cannot. Eventually, we'll replace standardized tests like the SAT, ACT, SAT II, and AP. By changing assessments, we can reorient the education system & employers towards measuring what matters.
We love this challenge. We're an interdisciplinary team of learning scientists, game developers, artists, AI/ML engineers, and data scientists, looking for others who want to tackle this difficult problem. We know that what has worked for decades in other contexts, might not work in ours, so we don’t default to expertise. Instead we test every assumption with logic, each idea with reasoning, and all conclusions with “prove it.” We choose learning over ego so that our product and our people become the best.
We’re looking for a Senior Software Engineer:
As a Senior Software Engineer at Imbellus, you will play a large role in architecting, building, and maintaining the proprietary tool that drives our content development. You will collaborate with other developers to ensure our tool is both stable and maintainable, and provides a highly effective user experience for a customer base made up of UX developers and game designers. You will push yourself and those around you to do things the right way and avoid the accrual of tech debt and hard to solve bugs. As our tool is a web-based live service, you will work with our platform and devops teams to ensure that we provide an always-on, always-stable experience.
What you’ll be doing at Imbellus:
- Architect, build, and maintain the tool and libraries we use to build user interfaces alongside our small tools team
- Work with and support our UX developers and designers to improve the tool’s user experience
- Document and peer review technical designs with our engineering team
- Write and maintain unit and integration tests
What you’ll need to succeed at Imbellus:
- 5+ years of software development experience
- Ideally tools development experience, needs to be front end
- Experience working with Clients and User needs
Nice to Have:
- Python, Unity
- Game development experience
- Experience building tools for custom user interfaces
- Interest and experience creating functional user experiences
Our name comes from the Latin word “Imbellis,” a breed of Betta fish. Betta fish don’t swim in schools. Welcome to our fish tank.