How to Apply
Please introduce yourself and send your resumes & portfolios with the following email subject header:
Your skill level - Level Designer - Full Name - Current Location
NOTE: for skill level choose: Student, Intern, Junior, Regular, Senior, Lead, Director or Studio/Team
To help us understand your perspective, if you can and want to please mention:
- What speaks to you in our game/PAX demo video (link below).
- When do you prefer to start.
- Hours of work per week that you prefer.
- Your freelancer rate range.
- Are you now employed or are on a active contract.
- If your portfolio is not a 80-100% fit, do you want to do a level design test.
We will read carefully what you send us and reach out to you if you meet 80% of our criteria.
- Starting date: May 2021
- Always Remote, 150-170 hours per month or less, if that is your preference.
- Core team member for a minimum of 12 months and maximum of...sky is the limit.
- Salary is dependent on knowledge, skill, experience level and location.
- Working with team members from around the globe. Ranging from GMT-7 to GMT+4.
As Level Designer, you'll use your strong grasp of design fundamentals and experience to continue creating memorable levels that are intertwined with visual narrative and an outstanding atmosphere.
However, at Flatter Than Earth, you’re not just a developer. You’ll use your sensitivity, creativity, and strong interpersonal skills, to collaborate in cross-functional team to define and drive forward thinking and exciting methods of play.
PAX Prime – Official Judge Selection
During a rigorous selection process, PAX judges invited FTE and our game, Once Upon a Puppet,
to be placed in the best spot next to Sega and Twitch booths. It was a great honor and there was a fantastic amount of interest in our game.ONCE UPON A PUPPET: PAX DEMO VIDEO LINK
To see our most recent work, you will have to join us ;-)
To thrive as a Level Designer at Flatter Than Earth you have:
- A minimum of one shipped title as a level designer.
- 2.5+ years of solid level design experience.
- 1+ year of level design experience within the platforming and/or puzzle genres.
- 0.5+ year of Unity engine experience in level designer capacity.
- Strong understanding of theory behind player motivations and overall player psychology that can be altered though proper level design.
- Good knowledge of a wide spectrum of level design concepts & gameplay outcomes.
- Ideas and imagination that can work within the overall game vision & design pillars.
- Affinity for the puzzle and platforming game audiences, and an appreciation for its different player types, motivation and needs.
- Ability to identify gameplay and balancing issues and to offer solutions.
We are offering You:
- To be an important part of the development of Once Upon a Puppet, a puzzle-platformer game with tons of fresh ideas, that makes for a very unique experience in this classic genre
- Be Indie and away from corporate bureaucracy and a heavy chain of command that slows down decision making & creativity
- Be part of the core team, you will not be a cog in a machine, your voice will always be heard & important
- Your creativity will not be limited my middle management, only self-limited by "crazy" yet realistic ideas that enhance fun and do not kill scope
- You will work remotely and manage your own time and location to focus
- Choose when you want to take a day off or have a longer vacation
- We at FTE heavily promote a culture free from Crunch. Do not do it, it can have terrible effects.
- Salary is equal to skills and other team members will be glad to teach you or learn from you
- Your input will have a serious affect on the project and its final form
- Representing the game, team & company at game dev. events
- You will feel you are responsible and a true owner of the game you are making
- You are learning and evolving with us, Flatter Than Earth, a young team & young company aiming for big things