If you are confident in your ability to communicate stories and ideas through digital art, you have a passion for developing worlds for others to explore and you love to collaborate with others, you’re probably on your way to becoming a Concept Artist.
Concept artists are idea generators and collaborators with a diverse set of disciplines across Bungie. As a Concept art intern, you will train up on the destiny concept art team’s pipeline and work alongside experienced Concept artists to create at least one asset that will go in game. You will also gain useful experience in game development and art feedback loops.
- Learn the Destiny concept art team pipeline
- Shadow a Concept artist mentor in day-to-day support work
- Attend the weekly meetings and art direction syncs.
- Work with your mentor to identify and execute a piece of concept art that will be included in the game, including, but not limited to:
- Analyze and discuss the visual direction of Destiny
- Brainstorm with the team, gather reference and create sketches
- Pitch a thesis or narrative behind your designs
- Gather feedback and exchange ideas with members of other disciplines.
- Work with your manager and mentor to create a presentation of your experience and learnings during the production of your work.
- Creative mentality (Bring novel ideas and communicate them through concept art)
- Quick learner in unfamiliar areas
- Ability to communicate with artists and non-artist developers
- Confidence in your current art skills
- Solid foundation on art skills that will help you execute hard surface objects like weapons and vehicles.
- Ability to showcase an object in different views. 2d or 3d.
- Portfolio that demonstrates ability to execute objects, characters, and environments within the sci-fi genre.
- Great understanding of at least one Digital Art Content creation application.
- Openness to receiving art feedback through discussion or paintovers.
- At least one of the following:
- Portfolio that showcases start to finish process of a piece of content. Sketches, reference, final art.
- Training in game art or game design workflows (or equivalent experience)
- Experience working on a team with other artists.
- Familiarity with more than one Digital Art Content Creation applications
- Familiarity with game development suites (Unity, Unreal)
- Familiarity with the Destiny franchise
In 2022, most Bungie employees will adopt a flexible schedule working from home part time (outside of positions identified as either 100% onsite or fully remote in CA, FL, IL, NC, TX, and WA). Currently only a select range of positions are available for full-time remote work in CA, FL, IL, NC, TX, and WA (please review location for details). Prospective employees located outside of CA, FL, IL, NC, TX, and WA will need to establish residency in one of the states we are compliant in within 45 days of a start date. Bungie’s work from home, flexible work schedule, and remote policy is subject to change at the company’s discretion.