Work remotely. Never crunch. Completely flexible hours.
Bitwise Alchemy is a successful consulting studio composed of senior developers from the AAA industry. We have recently started development on a fully funded game of our own and need a talented artist to build the art vision. This is a rare opportunity to establish the art style and process for a small game, and eventually direct a team of artists during production.
The game is a uniquely inspired fusion of tabletop roleplaying and deadly roguelike dungeon crawling. Be anyone, pick your starting location on the world map, and set out in any direction you please. Explore beautifully illustrated lands and delve into dark and mysterious dungeons. Solve puzzles, do battle with fantastical horrors, and utilize your own unique skillset to navigate and survive the dangers lurking inside. Or take the more diplomatic approach and join guilds and befriend factions. Negotiate with princes and warlords, take on odd jobs and discover secret plots, and climb the ranks to uncover the diabolical forces that threaten the kingdom from within. There is no wrong approach, and the choice is yours to make. The only question is, "will you survive?" .
The primary presentation for the game is 2D art for backgrounds and characters. Additionally there would be some limited VFX and simple 2D animation. We expect the game to require 500-1000 full screen backgrounds and 100s of NPCs and enemies. One of the challenges will be building a process to build our game screens efficiently with a team of artists.
The pre-production team will be very small, less than 5 developers. During full production we expect to have about 3-4 artists total. Development is expected to take roughly 2 years, but we'll only ship something we're proud of.
- An experienced 2D artist that can establish a compelling visual style for our backgrounds and characters.
- Ability to help develop processes and pipelines to efficiently build the art.
- Documenting and teaching an art team to implement the vision.
- Experience with 2D animation.
- An enthusiasm for fantasy, RPGs, OR strategy games is a plus!
- 100% remote. We are a remote-only studio.
- Comprehensive benefits in the US. (401k, health, dental, vision, etc.)
- Regular full time employment in Canada or the US. Contract worldwide.
- A working environment that respects creativity. We do NOT crunch.
- An asynchronous work process that allows for completely flexible work hours besides the occasional meetings.
- Stability. We have long term contracts with numerous large clients.