Full Time Permanent Role. Remote - UK Based. Annual salary £30-33k per year.
Bithell Games was founded in 2013 after the success of Thomas Was Alone, and has since continued that success with a string of games, from original IP, to collaborations on licensed IP. We’re known internationally for our often surprising, but always entertaining projects.
Our team is made up of a mix of full time and contract employees, all working remotely since the company’s founding. This lets us work fast, creatively and with more flexibility. We take enormous pride in the quality of the games we produce, but put equal weight on our company’s treatment of workers. We have never crunched, and we never will.
We have a number of exciting projects on the boil right now, and are hiring for a range of roles. We’re excited to continue to expand our team and make more awesome games.
Currently, we’re looking for a Designer. Initially working only with the game’s director and programming team, you’ll be responsible for prototypical level design and designing core gameplay systems. As the project goes on, you’ll work with a growing design team to bring the project through to completion, designing metagame features and performing population and implementation tasks. You’ll be an essential and respected part of our team.
- You’ll work on designing core gameplay mechanics with the game’s director, and producing required mockups, documentation and other communication to take to other team members.
- You’ll work in engine to implement level design and other population tasks.
- We’re a small company, so we value collaboration with team members across all disciplines, and you’ll be expected to communicate and work well with the whole team.
- You’ll be expected to iterate quickly, but also be able to clean up and produce highly polished work as necessary.
- You’ll be a proactive and positive contributor to the project, and support your team.
- Advanced experience with Unity.
- Experience with documentation and general game design communication.
- Multiple shipped games as a designer.
- Experience with action/3D platform game development, core systems design and level design.
- Excellent communication skills.
Nice to have:
- Experience with differing level design tools and processes within Unity.
- Experience with playtesting, both in a formal and informal context.
- Beginner-level coding skills, to aid with programmer communication.
- Any experience in third party 3D modeling tools to aid with greybox level design.
If you don't fit every single requirement, we encourage you to apply anyway!
If you’d like to apply for this job, please send an email with subject line ‘Designer’ followed by your name. Please include a CV, links to any work or portfolio as appropriate, and any other relevant information. We’re excited to hear from you!
Bithell Games is an Equal Opportunity Employer and you’re welcome here. We highly encourage members of marginalised and underrepresented groups to apply for this role.