This job posting has already expired. However you can check our other Remote Art and Animation Jobs.
About us: Archiact Interactive is a Virtual Reality (VR) Game Studio that develops new and unique ways for people to play games and interact with each other. We partner with IP holders, large publishers, and tech brands to create and deliver immersive, high-end game experiences across multiple platforms with a special focus on building new tools for cutting edge emerging technology. We are a hybrid studio with employees all across Canada, reporting into our headquarters in Vancouver, BC. We have a new studio incorporated in Toronto, Ontario. Our Ontario studio is 100% remote at this time, with plans to open a new office in the future.
Our games: We have published over 30 VR tiles since 2013 on every major platform and in every major global market. Recent titles include DOOM 3: VR Edition (on PSVR), FREEDIVER: Triton Down (on PC, PSVR and Oculus Quest), and MARVEL: Dimension of Heroes (a smartphone-powered Superhero experience built for Lenovo Mirage AR). We are currently in the early stages of several new and highly innovative projects with prominent industry partners and are searching for the best and the brightest to help us transform the world of VR game development.
Our values: Archiact’s core values are focused on innovation, diversity & inclusion, kindness & respect, creative integrity, open communication, and the strong belief that VR game experiences offer unique opportunities for human connection, discovery, well-being, and joy. At Archiact, equity, diversity, and inclusivity are developed and directed by our employees, allowing us to build innovative and immersive experiences that are accessible and meaningful to a wider audience. We seek to build a diverse team, and to nurture a safe, inclusive work environment where everyone can thrive.
Role Overview: We are looking for a Concept Artist to supplement our in-house concept team on an incredibly exciting new project. You will be joining a small team of AAA vets who believe that VR’s time is now and want to make the next big VR game event. This role is for creative collaborators who enjoy ownership (along with the responsibility that goes with it) and want to make a lasting contribution to VR. We are a Vancouver-based studio but are happy to consider candidates from all over Canada to work remotely. This is a full-time, 6 months fixed-term contract.
About you: You enjoy working with a close-knit and collaborative team with a wide range of skill sets. You are an effective communicator, well-balanced and inspiring to work with. You are an expert in visual design problem solving. You love sketching, rendering and coming up with wild ideas. You are a good communicator and excellent listener. You live to raise the quality bar and passionately care about the final game experience and how your concepts, ideas and input can contribute to it.
- Working closely with the Art Director and Principal Concept Artist, you will be involved in creating a fantastic far-future, sci-fi universe. This position is focused heavily on environments, sets, weapons, and props but also includes a number of characters.
- At least 1 year of game dev experience (AAA and VR experience a plus).
- A portfolio that clearly demonstrates experience designing and concepting hard surface weapons, props, and environments for games and films.
- Strong character concepting skills in costumes, head studies and props. Able to take a character from fast tonal explorations all the way to final turnarounds and model sheets.
- The ability to visually explore and quickly generate ideas from prepared briefs using thumbnails, sketches, and other fast iteration methods.
- The ability to utilize strong digital illustration, rendering and design skills to complete color concept art to inform, guide, and inspire the World Art Team.
- Experience collaborating in a fast-paced environment with other departments including game design, animation, UI/UX, and VFX. Proven ability to create unique and extraordinary designs through an iterative, user-based process.
- The ability to take and give critiques and creative feedback to problem solve issues and deliver necessary changes based on design, art, and animation feedback to ensure that the final concepts are workable in production.
- The ability to visually communicate design features, stylistic language, and game mechanics to other artists, designers, and production team members using storyboards, step-throughs, and other pre-viz techniques in a wide range of styles.
- Experience with providing and organizing in-depth research on reference images, materials, and lighting.
- Expert understanding of form, value, perspective, proportions, and color.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills combined with a high level of emotional intelligence. High level of personal knowledge about games, films, and entertainment.
Nice to Have:
- Experience working with VR hardware.
Benefits & Perks - What’s in it for you?
- A competitive base salary.
- Comprehensive extended health and wellness benefits including employee assistance program (in effect from first day of employment, premiums paid in full by employer).
- Annual Health & Wellness allowance.
- 3 weeks paid parental leave (top-up on EI).
- 4% vacation pay.
- Paid sick days
- Paid studio closure for the Winter Holidays.
- We offer the choice of fully remote, in-studio, or a hybrid work arrangement for Vancouver employees. Team members in other provinces are welcomed on a remote working basis.
- An opportunity to work on a high-profile IP.
- The chance to be part of an experienced, high-achieving and fun team.
- An inclusive and diverse team and atmosphere.
- The opportunity to help pave the way for the future of VR gaming.