Do you love iterating on game feel and presentation until players are amazed? Do you strive to create systems that lead to emergent gameplay experiences?
As Gameplay Director, you are the key vision holder for the systems that drive moment-to-moment gameplay, presentation, and progression. The systems you create allow players to immerse themselves into the world and narrative while consistently generating moments of delight. Your team is responsible for keeping players engaged in the moment and over a span of years as they explore the depths of all that the mechanics have to offer. Work closely with the Simulation, Narrative, and IP Directors to create a cohesive gameplay experience where each aspect complements and amplifies the other.
Reporting to the Design Director, this role collaborates with disciplines across the entire project through all stages of development.
Core Responsibilities & Objectives
· Work as part of cross-functional teams to design and implement new gameplay systems.
· Ensure that gameplay and progression systems scale to a live game experience that is going to be played for many years.
· Create systems that can effortlessly adapt to the needs of a variety of players with different physical, cognitive, and emotional needs.
· Identify how to adjust and tune gameplay mechanics based on feedback from user research and UX.
· Develop workflow and tools that allow for highly-efficient creation— ensuring high accessibility for all content creators.
· Partner with creative leadership to align long-term vision and creative planning.
· Curate and mentor a best-in-class gameplay systems team. Help to identify and develop bench strength. Drive team goals, hiring decisions, and culture.
Core Traits (Skills, Knowledge, Experience)
· Deep understanding of systems design.
· Prior experience with game feel and presentation design.
· Outstanding skills in creating data/workflow for gameplay systems.
· Deep understanding of player behavior and motivations.
· Proven leadership in a team environment.
· Strong ability to collaborate and influence across multiple disciplines; ability to create consensus.
· Good communication skills: skilled listener and adept in expressing yourself.
· Ability to both receive and deliver constructive criticism.
· Prior experience building complex gameplay systems that interact with non-linear narrative systems.
· An understanding of visual storytelling and presentation techniques.
· Track record of developing talent in others.
· Close vision to monitors and screens, consistently working on computer equipment such as keyboards and monitors, long periods of sitting.
· Reasonable accommodations can be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Prytania Media is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, marital status, medical condition(s), national origin, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, race, religion, sexual orientation, or any other characteristics protected by applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances, or common human decency.