PerBlue is seeking our next great Art Director
to define the creative vision of our mobile games and guide our other Art Leads. We’re a quickly growing independent studio whose free-to-play mid-core mobile games have been played by millions of people around the world, including the award-winning Disney Heroes: Battle Mode
Our cross-functional and collaborative team brings experience from across the videogame industry. We are a Remote First company headquartered in Madison, Wisconsin, with team members based remotely around the United States for an unmatched quality of life and work.
What’s this position about?
This is a hybrid hands-on Art Lead and supervisor position. You’ll work closely with product leads to set and define the artistic style and vision within one of our games including theme, characters, and environments. You’ll bring our characters to life, building strong, lasting game brands. This is a highly collaborative role that works closely with our studio leadership and department leads where you’ll be deeply involved in helping shape and continuing to improve the artistic direction of our games.
Collaborating with the Studio Head of Art, you’ll be a key advocate for the art department and supervise the studio’s other Art Leads, supporting and empowering them to produce great work in their games. You will also provide mentorship, support, and career growth guidance. You will work closely with the Creative Producers to ensure deadlines are met, efficient resourcing decisions are made, and a high-quality bar is met. Lastly, you will assist the Creative Producers in managing external vendors and ensuring they produce high-quality work on time and for reasonable costs.
You'll have a great eye for the visual style and a track record of building awesome brands and characters. You'll excel at managing art production pipelines. You should be a great communicator, extremely organized, and very goal-oriented. You’re a creative thinker, but thrive while working within constraints. You should excel in highly cross-functional and dynamic environments. You should be focused on business results and building for to the market .
- 5+ years of progressively responsible experience leading to video game studio creative team leadership (mobile and free to play preferred).
- Excelled in prior Art Director or Art Lead roles with a proven track record of effectively managing both internal and external teams.
- Thorough understanding of 2D and 3D art asset production pipelines and software tools, and have direct experience managing those pipelines.
- Ability to direct and provide feedback to external art vendors.
- Experience as an individual contributor producing 2D and/or 3D assets, and willingness to jump into asset production or cover other roles if needed.
- Experience working directly with other department leads, ensuring a collaborative and productive environment.
Your Personal Attributes
- Strong communication skill, and the ability to effectively communicate with both your team members and management.
- Ability to effectively provide constructive feedback (both written and drawn) to drive the creative process and deliver superb results.
Other skills to highlight in your application
- Familiar with task management/organizational tools such as Airtable, Jira, and Shotgrid.
- Close attention to detail and results-focused.
- Proactive and able to take ownership of processes, projects, and issues.
- Ability to inspire, mentor, and supervise art teams
- Strong understanding of mobile technological constraints and challenges.
- Ego-adverse. Positive and collaborative.
- Motivated participant in PerBlue’s efforts to be a welcoming, inclusive and diverse workplace.
Compensation and Benefits
We are a Remote First company headquartered in downtown Madison, Wisconsin with team members based around the US. We offer a competitive base salary; incentive bonus structure; 6+ weeks of paid time off; comprehensive health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance; a well-matched 401k; flexible hours; and a variety of other perks including daily lunch delivery.
You'll be part of a passionate, welcoming, and collaborative team that has received several “Best Place to Work” awards by a variety of publications. We are headquartered in the vibrant neighborhood around beautiful downtown Madison
No agencies, please. This is a pretty good description of this position’s roles and responsibilities but is not a comprehensive job description, so duties and supervisors may change. We regret that we cannot consider visa sponsorship or candidates based outside of the United States or Canada for this position at this time.