Role: Senior Programmer
Location: Remote (UK/Europe preferred)
Duration: 12 months, full-time contract.
Hours: 40h p/w
Current Team Size: 3
Applications close: 11:59 pm BST, Sunday 20th of September 2020
We are seeking a senior programmer to join our tiny, but gently expanding team! As a small team supporting two existing titles (Alto’s Adventure and Alto’s Odyssey) – as well as entering pre-production on new, original titles – we’re looking to bring someone in that is keen to play a critical part in the future of the Alto series and the studio as a whole.
As a key member of our team, you will collaborate closely with and report to Harry, the original creator and lead developer of the Alto series, as well as occasionally working alongside our support engineer at Snowman to fulfil the technical requirements of servicing our games. You will also regularly work with our producer to identify and resolve challenges in the upkeep and development of all things Alto.
You will proactively navigate technical challenges in our development environment, using your experience to highlight key areas for improvement, as well as guide the continued optimisation of our games and game development pipelines.
You are an expert in your craft and will be able to provide critical technical guidance to all members of our team, regardless of their technical background.
In this role, you will:
- Perform core game, system and platform programming tasks, operating as one of the key players in the development and support of our original titles.
- Leverage your game development experience to expand the knowledge and technical abilities of the team around you.
- Assist in shaping our development pipelines and practices as we support our existing titles and move through pre-production on upcoming projects.
- Develop tools to help improve the efficiency of our production pipelines.
- Weigh in on non-technical design and creative exploration. We are a small team and as such like to ensure every team member has a stake in the creative decision-making process.
- Experience in senior commercial game programming roles.
- Extensive experience working in the Unity game engine.
- Fluent in C#
- Experience with C++ / Objective-C (Xcode).
- Be a proponent for good software design and architecture.
- Personal initiative: ability to make key decisions without guidance when necessary.
- Working knowledge of the best optimisation practices, especially for mobile.
- Excellent communication, creative collaboration and teamwork skills.
- Experience authoring development and testing tools in Unity.
- An interest and willingness to engage in the game design process.
The points below are strictly bonuses, therefore we encourage you to apply, even if you don’t feel you meet any of them! We learn on the job every day and will support you to do the same.
- Team or product lead experience (in any role).
- Multiple titles shipped on iOS, tvOS and macOS.
- Experience developing premium mobile titles and a sensibility for mobile game design.
- Experience working on GAAS or post-launch support for premium titles.
- A passion for managing/supporting/mentoring your fellow engineers.
- Experience with procedural generation systems and deterministic gameplay.
- A solid understanding of modern optimisation techniques for mobile titles.
- Experience with dynamic audio systems and general audio integration in Unity.
- Experience with the Adobe Creative Suite and 3D tools such as Blender, Maya, etc.
Land & Sea is based in the South West of England, however, this position is remote. While we are open to applicants from around the world, we prefer to keep our team closer to home, so applicants from the United Kingdom and Europe are preferred. However, if you meet the above requirements and don’t mind ensuring your hours reasonably overlap with ours each day, please apply, wherever you are! This is a 12 month contract position with an option to renew or move to a full-time arrangement toward the end of the initial contract period.
Land & Sea is a small team of creatives crafting meaningful, highly polished experiences. Our vision entails sustainable work practices including, realistic work hours, zero crunch, and a focus on developing games that add value to the lives of our players. We are an inclusive studio that seeks to provide a healthy and supportive work environment for our team.
While we work closely with Snowman — our partner on the Alto series — we are two distinct studios. In this role you will be directly working for Land & Sea but regular collaboration with Snowman is built into the process of continuing support of the Alto series.
We’d love to hear from you if you are interested in this role! Please apply using our application form
to ensure we can get back to you as soon as possible. We will respond to successful applicants with an offer to interview.
– The Land & Sea Team