HQ is NYC but remote & Canadian can still apply!
HOMER has a newly created opportunity for a Game Designer, Digital Products to join our growing team! This role will report into our NYC office (upon re-opening.)
HOMER, a BEGiN brand, is the proven early learning program that provides the best educational start possible. We offer personalized, fun, and proven learning products for kids ages 2-8 to help build confidence, mastery, and a love of learning. We are deeply committed to our members and to their children, and we are building a creative and strategic team to develop a portfolio of early learning products that support learning everywhere.
Reporting to the VP, Children’s Creative, the Game Designer, Digital Products will be primarily responsible for working collaboratively to create fun and educational interactive digital games and other content for children 2-6. You will be working with Product and Project Managers, Children’s and Family Development (CFD), developers, artists and animators, sound designers and Voice Over artists to create delightful digital experiences that engage, entertain and educate kids. You will be responsible for instructional dialogue scripts, Game Design Documents, tracking sound design, and communicating with the squad.
This role is a key contributor to creating engaging content from original and licensed IP, increasing kids’ engagement with the apps, contributing to educational efficacy, and overall entertainment of the HOMER apps.
- Draft game design documents for new experiences centered around specific learning goals
- Support in the prototyping of all experience through either pen and paper, Proto.io or editing existing JSON files
- Collaborate with CFD and the Project Owner/Manager in developing sticky game mechanics in conjunction with curriculum and narrative
- Identify all sfx, dialogue and music assets required for the game experiences to be brought to market and work with outside contractors to acquire or create said assets
- Partner with copywriting to create first drafts of all dialogue scripts and contribute to their development through the entire process
- Ensure the management and application of all creative audio assets follows company best practices
- Participating in kid testing sessions working with UX/UI researchers
- Minimum 3 years experience in the games/apps/interactive space
- Experience working with established brands and IP in the kids’ space
- Understanding of pedagogy, creative approach, and digital production processes
- Strong writing and communication skills
- Familiarity with JSON files a plus
- Experience with sound design, music composition and voice over recording desired
- Ability to collaborate and communicate effectively with team members in order to understand tasks, manage expectations, provide creative input, and technical troubleshooting throughout the process.
We like people who are:
- Results oriented, hands-on and passionate about our industry (education) and our consumers (children, parents and educators)
- Collaborative, and thrive in startup environments
- Able and willing to learn new technologies and styles
- Multifaceted and creative
What you’ll get:
- HOMER offers competitive compensation including equity and full benefits
- Smart, passionate, and engaged co-workers
- Excellent top-tier Medical/Dental/Vision benefits
- A chance to have a big impact
- A chance to bring a love of reading and learning to children globally
HOMER is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. HOMER does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.