At Hidden Door
we believe technology can unlock kids' creative superpowers.
We're inventing a new kind of multiplayer storytelling game for kids to create and explore worlds together. It's like Roblox meets Dungeons and Dragons, designed for safety, enabled by AI and natural language processing (NLP).
We're looking for an experienced backend/platform engineer to design, build, and maintain the infrastructure we need to support our backend platform systems. You’ll be joining our small and mighty technical team at the beginning to design and build out the system.
We'd love to meet if:
- You’ve architected complex backend applications that have scaled over time.
- You’ve worked on a large-scale platform application.
- You’ve designed beautiful public APIs used in production by multiple consumers.
- You have informed opinions about instrumentation, monitoring, and observability.
- You have good taste in picking the right tools for the job, to help us make several infrastructure and tool choices in the near future.
- You are, or are willing to become, comfortable with Python, which we currently use for its machine learning ecosystem (e.g. spaCy, PyTorch, and Hugging Face).
- You respect and are eager to help set up mature software engineering practices.
- You write well.
- You’ve worked on consumer-facing mobile, web, or game engine apps.
- You’ve built products for kids, tweens, and teens.
- You love telling stories and playing games, even better if you've written stories or worked on a game of any type.
- You’re familiar with machine learning and natural language processing.
- You enjoy wearing lots of hats and learning new things.
- You want to collaborate with a strong team to build new interactive experiences at the intersection of machine learning and creative play.
Other things to know
- We're a small, US-based fully remote team, currently focused on US and Western European time zones.
- Sometimes we meet up! In better times we expect to travel a few times a year to get together for planning and fun.
- While this is a full-time job, we are flexible about working hours and trust you to bring your best. Both co-founders have young children and we are committed to a healthy, balanced life.
- This is a startup! We're building a company together as much as we are building a game together.
- We value curiosity, creativity, and diverse perspectives.
- We strongly encourage women, BIPOC, and candidates from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.
How to apply
Please apply here
! It will ask you to share a resume or your LinkedIn profile, tell us a bit about yourself, and write a story about something you've built that you're proud of and what makes you a good fit for this opportunity. If you run into any issues, just email us at email@example.com