San Francisco, CA / Seattle, WA / Remote
Elsewhere is hiring a Founding Game Designer to help build a new kind of co-op multiplayer game. Our game captures the aesthetic and soul of indie games, the replayability and depth of roguelikes, and the ambition to become a forever game that reaches millions of players.
Our founders include a successful repeat entrepreneur and a games industry veteran, and we’ve teamed up with top Silicon Valley investors. We’re an idealistic team that loves video games and deeply believes in their potential: both as a creative medium and as a way for us to socialize and play together.
- You bring a founder’s mindset to game design. That means you’re comfortable with ambiguity. Being part of a founding team excites you. You’re ready to roll up your sleeves and you’re hungry.
- You like to multiclass. You’re a game design generalist, capable of owning design of gameplay, lore/narrative, progression systems, level design, and more.
- You love games. You’re well-versed in everything from modern indie and AAA hits to the old school pioneers that inspired them.
- You like to ship. You’re eager to share messy prototypes and half-baked ideas, both internally and with external playtesters.
- You’re ambitious. You want to build something with massive reach that players are going to absolutely love. You want to push the envelope of games as a medium.
- You’re collaborative. You’re excited to work closely with the founders, game artists, game engineers, our community, and more.
- You’re experienced. You have at least three years of experience as a game designer, and have shipped at least one game.
You might also have:
- Experience working on a small team, ideally in a startup environment.
- Experience working on an online game, or some kind of game-as-a-service.
- Experience with game systems design, especially in a roguelike or multiplayer game.
- Ability to code functional prototypes of your designs.
- Generous equity compensation.
- Relocation assistance (San Francisco Bay Area or Seattle).
- Top-tier benefits, including medical, vision, and dental insurance.
- Unlimited PTO (with an enforced minimum).
- A small, tight-knit team of humble and hard-working gaming weirdos. :)
This is a rare opportunity to directly shape a game with massive potential from its earliest stages. If that sounds exciting, we’d absolutely love to hear from you, regardless of whether you meet exact requirements.
🕹️ Are you passionate about crypto, Web3, or NFTs? Then we’re probably not a great fit for you! We initially began life as a NFT / metaverse startup, but we’ve since left that behind. Though we think those technologies have potential, we came to realize that the values of that community just aren’t a fit for the vision of what we’re trying to build.