If you are an artist that imagines undiscovered horizons wrought from pixels and code, the opportunity to build amazing worlds awaits. Bungie is looking for experienced, talented leaders eager to join an incredible team of artists. In the environment art discipline, you will be responsible for exploring styles and mentoring teams to develop strong storytelling and well-crafted gameplay spaces for Destiny releases.
- Leverage your experience creating environments to help elevate the work of your fellow environment artists
- Engage in the design of our destinations at high level to ensure we are developing rich worlds to support our narrative and gameplay aspirations
- Mentor your fellow artists; help to inspire and provide visual, technical, and experiential feedback
- Contribute ideas on how to engage and delight our players through how they experience the worlds and environments of Destiny
- Translate approved concept art into 3D elements of gameplay and cinematic spaces
- Work closely with activity and narrative designs to build world geometry from rough massouts to highly polished, engaging gameplay spaces
- Assemble spaces using a combination of pre-existing modular kit pieces and bespoke, custom set pieces (including associated modeling, uv and shader work, technical setup, etc)
- Work closely with our lighting artists to build environments and lighting that support the intended player experience
- Polish gameplay environments with tasteful creation and deployment placement of set dressing, decals, devices and dynamic objects, etc.
- Extensive experience in crafting environments that support engaging gameplay
- Experience in managing / helping to manage production timelines and avoid development pitfalls
- Strong interpersonal skills; efficient communication, strong collaboration and an ability to nurture the developing talent on your team
- Robust understanding of light, value, composition, color, staging and detail in environmental design
- Strong sense of scale and spatial awareness
- Understanding of how the environment affects game play
- High level of proficiency in contemporary game dev software (Photoshop, Maya, Max, Zbrush, Substance Designer, and other 2D/3D applications)
- Professional experience working with current generation game engine / pipelines
- Experience in a collaborative game development environment crafting playable space
- Responsible time management skills
- A strong interest for games and creating gaming environments
- Experience crafting worlds for FPS gameplay
- Experience managing people / teams / production schedules
Listed below is this role's base pay range. In other locations that Bungie has approved for remote work, this pay range may be adjusted up to +/- 10% and some roles may be classified as non-exempt (hourly).
This range is determined by an array of factors, including training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs, and market demands. Additionally, it is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
In the journey to make incredible worlds, Bungie employees don't simply do meaningful work - they receive meaningful support. Competitive salaries and discretionary bonus opportunities are just the start. We offer comprehensive healthcare coverage, generous 401(k) matching, flexible time off policies, paid parental leave, social clubs, and so much more. Check out our benefits page: Benefits - Bungie Careers
to see all the perks that come with joining Bungie.
Bellevue Pay Range
Bungie full-time (non-contract) employees in the U.S. also receive:
- 20 days of accrued time-off in the form of PTO and sabbatical days, depending on the level of the position
- 10 paid Floating Days annually, prorated in the first year of employment based on start date
- 10 paid Bungie-observed holidays annually
- One hour of Paid Sick Time (PST) for every 30 hours worked
Contract and International FTE employees receive competitive benefits through their relevant contracting agency.
So you don't meet every requirement listed in this job description? Do you think your experience level is not where it needs to be? Studies show that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they believe they meet every single qualification. Bungie is focused on building a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace. If you're interested in this position but your past experience doesn't line up perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we want you to apply anyway. The right role for you may be right around the corner!
Most Bungie full-time employees will adopt a digital first approach allowing remote work in Bungie approved locations (outside of positions identified as 100% onsite in Bellevue/Seattle, or individuals preferring a hybrid/flex environment). Prospective full-time employees located outside of CA, CO, DC, FL, GA, IL, MA, MD, MI, MN, NC, NJ, NY, OR, TN, TX, UT, VA, WA, or WI will need to establish residency in one of the states we are compliant in within 45 days of a start date. Contractors will follow a digital first approach adhering to the location guidelines agreed upon by our third-party employer/vendor and Bungie. Bungie’s remote policy is subject to change at the company’s discretion.
HYBRID / BUNGIE-APPROVED REMOTE LOCATIONS