About us: Archiact Interactive is a Virtual Reality (VR) Game Studio that develops new and unique ways for people to play games and interact with each other. We partner with IP holders, large publishers, and tech brands to create and deliver immersive, high-end game experiences across multiple platforms with a special focus on building new tools for cutting-edge emerging technology. We are a hybrid studio with employees all across Canada, reporting to our headquarters in Vancouver, BC. We have a new studio incorporated in Toronto, Ontario. Our Ontario studio is 100% remote at this time, with plans to open a new office in the future.
Our games: We have published over 30 VR tiles since 2013 on every major platform and in every major global market. Recent titles include DOOM 3: VR Edition (on PSVR), FREEDIVER: Triton Down (on PC, PSVR, and Oculus Quest), and MARVEL: Dimension of Heroes (a smartphone-powered Superhero experience built for Lenovo Mirage AR). We are currently in the early stages of several new and highly innovative projects with prominent industry partners and are searching for the best and the brightest to help us transform the world of VR game development.
Our values: Archiact’s core values are focused on innovation, diversity & inclusion, kindness & respect, creative integrity, open communication, and the strong belief that VR game experiences offer unique opportunities for human connection, discovery, well-being, and joy. At Archiact, equity, diversity, and inclusivity are developed and directed by our employees, allowing us to build innovative and immersive experiences that are accessible and meaningful to a wider audience. We seek to build a diverse team, and to nurture a safe, inclusive work environment where everyone can thrive.
We are looking for a passionate Mission/Level Designer who enjoys working on an agile and fast-paced team that brings high-quality VR projects to life. This is a 12-months fixed term contract with the possibility to become permanent. We are a hybrid Vancouver-based studio so are happy to consider candidates from all over Canada to work remotely. We also offer relocation assistance to candidates who wish to move to BC, Canada. Shortlisted candidates may be asked to perform a level design test.
You are comfortable working in a close-knit and collaborative team with a wide range of skill sets and personalities. You enjoy the creative problem-solving process required to bring original concepts and high-profile IPs to life in an immersive experience. You thrive in teams and are open to taking on new challenges to assist in raising the quality bar of the end product.
- Work with Lead Mission Designer and Narrative team to develop exciting mission layouts.
- Partner with technical and game designers to understand and address constraints within production, while maintaining high quality levels, supporting the narrative and game design teams to create interesting and believable world design, ensuring mechanics and systems are effectively utilised in levels.
- Work closely with the Art team to align and ensure the world makes sense.
- Design and document mission flow, breaking down pacing, encounters and more.
- Implement levels, blueprints and tune parameters during the prototype phase and beyond.
- 2+ years of work experience in the video game industry.
- Experience with designing missions or levels.
- Experience implementing levels and gameplay in a 3D tool, preferably UE4 or similar engines.
- A clear understanding of game flow, pacings and emotional design.
- The ability and willingness to adapt to constant changes.
- Participated in the production of at least 2 published games.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- A self-starter with a strong work ethic.
- A team-player attitude with the ability to collaborate effectively with various stakeholders in a fast-paced environment.
Nice to Have:
- Worked on an Action / Adventure game, story-driven game.
- Experience working with VR hardware.
Benefits - What’s in it for you?:
- A competitive base salary.
- Comprehensive extended health and wellness benefits including employee assistance program (in effect from first day of employment, premiums paid in full by employer).
- Annual Health & Wellness allowance.
- 3 weeks paid parental leave (top-up on EI).
- 4% vacation pay.
- Paid sick days.
- Paid studio closure for the Winter Holidays.
- We offer the choice of fully remote, in-studio, or a hybrid work arrangement for Vancouver employees. Team members in other provinces are welcomed on a remote working basis.
- An opportunity to work on a high-profile IP.
- The chance to be part of an experienced, high-achieving and fun team.
- An inclusive and diverse team and atmosphere.
- The opportunity to help pave the way for the future of VR gaming.