LEAD GAME DESIGNER
Regular Full Time
Remote Work From Home
Who We Are
AdHoc Studio is a diverse team of developers driven by a pursuit of excellence in storytelling. We draw inspiration from all forms of media and pride ourselves on our distinctive approach to interactive narrative in games. Our goal is to create resonant experiences that put the player in charge of the story, giving them agency where most games take it away. Our company’s DNA is made up of former employees of Telltale Games, Night School Studio, and Ubisoft. At the end of 2019, we announced that we’re co-developing the sequel to The Wolf Among Us with Telltale Games.
What We Need
We are looking for a Lead Game Designer who can be a driving force through each stage of the development process, crafting the high level design vision, while also being able to dig in and implement their own ideas. The ideal candidate is comfortable and capable in a highly collaborative and iterative environment. They should be able to work with a mixture of the Unreal Engine and proprietary tools to help bring studio projects to fruition, and be a key contributor towards further developing the studio’s vision for how stories are best experienced.
- Collaborate with creative leads on shaping and executing both large- and small-scale decisions.
- Contribute to shaping initial key concepts and direction for the game.
- Examine and understand the desired player experience, building everything in support of those goals.
- Guide the development and design of gameplay systems and mechanics.
- Own all game design from conception to completion.
- Regular hands-on in-engine work to bring ideas to fruition.
- Work with Narrative Designers to facilitate the design needs of the story.
- Lead a small team through creation of early prototypes.
- 2 shipped titles as a Designer, preferably in the Singleplayer genre.
- An understanding of both level and systems design.
- Experience prototyping and scripting gameplay mechanics.
- Experience in modern game engines (Unreal, Unity, etc.)
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to analyze and filter external user testing data.
- Familiar with fundamental level design concepts like flow, scale, landmarking, etc.
- An understanding of how color, art, composition etc. can complement and enhance game design.
- Able to write clear, concise and accurate design documentation and email communication, with the ability to summarize complex topics.
- Ability to give and take criticism in a professional manner.
- A fundamentally iterative mindset.
- Positive and self-driven attitude with the ability to participate in a collaborative environment.
- Shipped titles in the Unreal Engine.
- Experience working in interactive narrative.
- Some programming experience; both code and visual scripting.
- A passion for better representation in games and game development.
- Able to align with team and project goals, but isn’t hesitant to prove out solutions of their own.
- Competency with tools like Photoshop, Premiere, After Effects etc. in order to help with previsual development or provide placeholder, in-engine art.
What We Offer:
- Competitive Salary
- Medical Insurance
- Dental and Vision Insurance
- Flexible Working Schedule
- Flexible Paid Time Off
- No Commute; Work From Home
- Paid Holidays
- Paid Sick Leave
- Family Leave
- Disability Leave
How to Apply
Please send us your resume and portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org
with “Lead Game Designer - YOUR NAME” in the subject line.
Please provide explicit written examples of your work on shipped projects. Accompanying links to videos showcasing the features, mechanics, or maps would be ideal, but is not required.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, national origin, gender, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or parental status, disability, veteran status, or other class protected by applicable law.