We are looking for a driven engineer as our first hire on the engineering team. You will work alongside our Chief Technology Officer to prototype our community-scale survival sandbox game. Your role will focus primarily on the gameplay features in the Unity engine, although experience with Unity is not a requirement.
What We’re Building
Imagine building a game that you would gladly play with your friends or family. We are creating a game that enables communities of players to build and nurture vast virtual worlds together.
Being part of a community is a fundamental ingredient for happiness. Games are a powerful way to build communities because they easily supply the core building blocks: strong identity and shared purpose. We use intentional game design decisions to foster community with a goal of bringing joy to players through meaningful cooperative experiences.
Come join the Uncommon Games community to help us achieve this goal!
Lead the design and implementation of various gameplay features in our first prototype.
- Write robust code that is performant and easy to read.
- Help with hiring to grow our engineering team over the next few months as we enter production.
- Keep the engineering team in sync by contributing strong documentation, actively participating in pull requests and design reviews, and accurately tracking task progression.
- Communicate clearly and effectively with the larger team through participation in cross-functional design critiques, feedback, iteration requests, changes in scope, and dependencies.
Requirements / Qualifications
- At least 1-2 years in a software engineering / game development role at an established game studio.
- Expertise with modern game development tools with a preference for Unity, C#, Go, Git.
- Experience in all stages of the game development lifecycle from prototyping, to pre-production, to production, to live operations.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. As a remote first team, we have the additional challenge of trying to keep coordinated across time zones and geographies so this is particularly important to us.
Nice to Have
- Experience developing games with survival, sandbox, open world, or cross platform aspects.
- Enjoy playing cooperative, multiplayer games.
This role is available as an in-person (San Francisco, CA), remote or hybrid position.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
with the subject line “Software Engineer (Gameplay) Application” with a copy of your resume and a link to your Github or portfolio. While a public Github or portfolio is not required for this position, it will help with our evaluation.