Education is about the future: how do we make the future better than the present, how do we preserve the advances we have made so far, and how do we continue to expand the frontiers of human knowledge and capability?
The highest leverage tactic is to focus on childhood education. That’s what we’re doing at Synthesis. Specifically, our mission is to cultivate a generation of supercollaborators – people who can work together effectively to take on humanity’s most complex and vexing challenges.
We’re looking for people with exceptional intelligence, work ethic, and integrity to join us.
Co-founder Josh Dahn built Ad Astra school for Elon’s kids at SpaceX
. Now, we are scaling the most ambitious ideas from Ad Astra, starting with the most innovative class: Synthesis
Synthesis teaches kids to collaboratively work with information like adults do. Students ages 6 to 14 meet once a week to form teams and play novel, complex games and simulations, moderated by an adult coach who encourages clear communication and rigorous analytical thinking. And that is just the beginning. We're building "Ender's Game for innovators", a global internet-native academy to accelerate learning for the world's most talented and driven students, those most likely to contribute to leaps in science and engineering that advance human progress.
Synthesis is a purely remote team who, in addition to Ad Astra, have built Khan Academy, ClassDojo, Facebook, Google, Uber, Roam Research, Zachtronics and Flexport.
- Build product that spans the entire stack.
- Have a strong grasp of software engineering fundamentals.
- Think critically about product and build empathy with your users.
- Sweat the details and take pride in your craft.
- Are biased toward action. When you see problems, you fix them.
- Care more about building an impactful and delightful product than about using any particular technology.
- Have excellent communication and collaboration skills, and are excited to work on a purely remote team.
- Work hours that are aligned with US (UTC-8 to UTC-4) or EU (UTC to UTC+3) business hours.
- Design, build, and maintain full-stack applications that:
- enable real-time audio/video collaboration
- match players & teams by skill level
- build a social network for Synthesis students
- spark student self-reflection with game replays, recordings, and session highlights
- autoscale game instance backends
- Join a small, fast-paced team that owns their product and is empowered to build.
- Think big and ship iteratively.
- Fine-tune your product intuition by TAing a cohort of real students.
Apply below, and consider trying Rubicon
for a chance to skip straight to an intro call.
Compensation & Benefits
- Competitive compensation (benchmarked to California regardless of location)
- Meaningful equity (including optional early exercise)
- 100% covered health insurance for you & your dependents (including medical, dental, vision)
- 401(k) plan with company matching
- One-on-one tax advice: To make the most of our competitive equity-based compensation, Synthesis offers Carta Equity and Tax which includes education on the equity portion of your compensation, scenario modeling, and one-on-one tax advice
- Flexible time off
- Flexible parental leave
Some benefits (such as medical and 401k) apply to US employees only.