Synthesis is an online enrichment program that aims to cultivate a generation of supercollaborators: individuals with the capability to solve the most challenging problems of our civilization…together. We offer kids 8-14 the regular opportunity to practice what schools prevent: making consequential decisions, growing through reflection and course corrections, collaborating intensely with peers from around the world, and connecting powerful concepts with real-life application. School is largely a static and single-player experience, while the world demands a dynamic and extensively team-based approach. Consequently, we create team games that are inventive, unapologetically complex, and designed to surface many different kinds of collaboration and strategic decision making – only playable within Synthesis.
We are looking for an experienced Game Artist/Animator to help us define this new genre of collaborative thinking games. In this role, you will work on multiple game titles within our internal game studio (15 people) to design the next phase of Synthesis and define the style, quality, and gamefeel that will set the standard for every new game to come. The average game team is 3-6 people, so you will have significant influence over the process and end result. We are looking to establish an eclectic portfolio across a range of styles – none of which are kiddish or conventional. The aesthetic target is “premium indie”, and we are especially eager for artist/animators with small studio experience. Our animation requirements are more focused on FX than character cycles for the next six months, but we want to continue expanding our animation capabilities, so this is a secondary requirement.
We are teaching the world’s most valuable skill: the ability to solve complex problems with a team. Our goal is to make an education experience so great that even billionaires couldn’t buy anything better for their kids, and then make that affordable for as many people as possible. Synthesis is a unique place for experienced gamemakers to create without the pulls of monetization loops, perverse design incentives, publishers, and crunch. We have a singular goal: to define a new genre that creates “supercollaborators”. Join us.
As an Artist/Animator working within the Studio team, you will:
- Concept, illustrate, and animate all of the art requirements for a given game (we make 4-5 games/year). You will have primary responsibility for the gamefeel and clarity of every screen and interaction;
- Collaborate and iterate quickly with a team of developers, designers, artists, producers, and other Synthesis platform teams;
- Candidly validate your assumptions through regular playtesting with students. Our unique setup allows us to bring kids in on the process much earlier than a market-based platform would allow;
- Create moodboards and concepts to explore the unique aesthetic of each game;
- Our aim is to enable small, powerful production teams (4-7 people) so you should thrive on taking responsibility and pushing for quality.
- A professional portfolio with examples of past commercial games work and a range of styles. Thoughtful, professional quality is the primary criterion so a portfolio link is required below;
- 5+ years experience in game development. Experience with small studio (5-20) indie development is a bonus;
- We are focused primarily on 2D game development and animation, so a background in traditional animation is a plus;
- A breadth of aesthetics and genres informed by an insatiable curiosity for art, culture, history, science, and storytelling.
Compensation & Benefits
- Competitive compensation (benchmarked to California regardless of location)
- Meaningful equity (including optional early exercise)
- 100% covered health insurance for you & your dependents (including medical, dental, vision)
- 401(k) plan with company matching
- One-on-one tax advice: To make the most of our competitive equity-based compensation, Synthesis offers Carta Equity and Tax which includes education on the equity portion of your compensation, scenario modeling, and one-on-one tax advice
- Flexible time off
- Flexible parental leave
Some benefits (such as medical and 401k) apply to US employees only.