Unity 3D Level Designer
Seismic Squirrel LLC
Job Title: Unity 3D Level Designer
The Game: A vehicular action-adventure RPG videogame set in an alternate history 1930s New York.
Role: Design 3D combat levels.
Experience: Mid-Level, 3+ years of professional 3D level design experience.
Must have successfully shipped a game title in the level design role.
Location: The Americas (Remote) – Must reside within the UTC-3 to UTC-9 timezones.
Company Size: 12
Pay: $30 - $38 USD per hour – Depends on skills and experience.
Job Type: Contractor / Contract-to-Hire (see below)
We are looking for a creative and resourceful 3D Level Designer with experience and familiarity with Unity, a logical and systemic thinker, with an iterative approach to development, a collaborative spirit, excellent communication skills, and an enthusiasm for RPG and action-adventure videogames. The ideal candidate enjoys working with talented engineers, designers, writers, artists, and management, with a drive to create a fun and cohesive gameplay experience, able to empathize with both new players and with experts of the genre.
The ideal candidate communicates effectively in a small cross-functional team environment, clearly presenting their ideas to stakeholders for signoff. They should bring a passion for working within an iterative development environment, bringing a collaborative spirit and an enthusiasm for videogames.
This is a remote contractor position which requires regular collaboration online during Seattle-time work hours, attending relevant team meetings (e.g. daily scrum, retrospectives, sprint planning, and design meetings). Occasional calls during late evenings, nights, and early mornings should be expected for international meetings with outside contributors. The option to convert to full-time employee may be available to ideal candidates, depending on their location, skills, fit, project needs and schedule, and funding.
- Design and implement 3D combat levels in Unity, including maps, objectives, obstacles, and enemies.
- Rapidly prototype new level concepts to quickly find the fun.
- Work with the Gameplay Designer and Engineering to develop the systems and mechanics needed.
- Troubleshoot and fix gameplay bugs.
- Maintain UX quality throughout the development process.
- Educate and explain design concerns to the rest of the team.
- Actively collaborate with the development team, openly communicating on progress and problems, helping us set realistic project timelines and expectations.
- Participate in internal game testing and feedback.
- Balance and prioritize tasks to meet deadlines, working within agreed timeframes and budgets.
- 3+ years of experience as a Level Designer through the full lifecycle of game development from start to finish:
concept, design, prototyping, programming, content creation, testing, optimization, launch, support.
- Strong Unity skills and experience.
- Experienced devising AI designs for enemy, neutral, and allied NPCs.
- Strong understanding of working in a 3D space.
- Excellent problem-solving skills, resourceful, able to find solutions when needed.
- An enthusiasm for quality gameplay and a familiarity with many games and genres, past and present.
- Strong self-discipline, motivated, a self-starter with a drive for excellence.
- Organized, detail-oriented, able to work fast and loose or carefully with quality when each is needed.
- Courteous and patient, able to give and receive constructive and inspirational feedback gracefully.
- Able to work effectively with people having a variety of personalities and backgrounds.
- Adaptable: The job can change according to the needs at hand and requires wearing various hats.
- Able to work remotely using various collaboration tools.
- Strong written, visual, and verbal English language communication and presentation skills.
- Proficient in art and modeling tools, such as Adobe Creative Suite, Blender, 3ds Max.
- Proficient in business productivity tools, such as Microsoft Word, Excel, and Visio.
- Passion to learn new tools and technologies.
- Technical artist experience is a plus.
If this sounds like an exciting opportunity for you and you're located in the Americas, please submit your cover letter, résumé, and portfolio to Seismic Squirrel.