Job Title: Senior Game Designer
The Game: A turn-based tactical vehicular RPG set in an alternate history 1930s New York.
Role: Designing the gameplay, systems, and mechanics, and creating game levels in Unity.
Experience: Senior Level - 8+ years of professional game design experience.
Must have successfully shipped at least one game title in the design role.
Location: USA (Remote)
Company Size: 14
Job Type: Contractor
Pay: $42-55 USD per hour – Depends on skills and experience.
We are looking for a creative and resourceful Game Designer to join our team. They will work with the Design and Engineering teams to design, document, and implement a variety of turn-based tactical game systems, mechanics, levels, and mission types. This position requires excellent collaboration and communication with various stakeholders. The job demands a clear understanding of the tactical gameplay experience, player needs and expectations, a logical and systemic thinker, an iterative approach to development, a collaborative spirit, and an enthusiasm for this type of videogame.
The ideal candidate is driven to create a fun and cohesive gameplay experience, able to empathize with both new players and with experts of the genre. They possess a sense of urgency and enjoy working with talented designers, engineers, authors, artists, and management.
This is a remote contractor position which requires regular collaboration during Pacific-time business hours, attending relevant team meetings (e.g. daily scrum, retrospectives, sprint planning, and design meetings). Occasional calls during late evenings, nights, and early mornings should be expected for meetings with international contributors. Occasional travel to game-related tradeshows such as GDC or PAX may be expected. The option to convert to full-time employee may be available depending on applicant's location, skills, fit, project needs and schedule, and funding.
- Lead the design of gameplay, systems, and mechanics, including unit balancing, in-game economy, and narrative interaction.
- Work with Narrative to design and implement game levels and missions, including establishing mission objectives, level layout, and the integration of art and narrative assets in Unity.
- Lead design meetings and clearly document game designs in the GDD, TDD, etc.
- Actively collaborate with the development team on the game concept and design.
- Effectively communicate needed mechanics to Engineering.
- Maintain outstanding UX quality throughout the game's design.
- Participate in internal game testing and feedback.
- Openly communicate with team members on progress and problems, define deliverables, and help to set realistic project timelines and expectations.
- Work with UX to devise tutorials, callouts, hover cues, and tooltips to ease new players into the game.
- Help predict, identify, and resolve user experience issues that could detract from player enjoyment.
- Devise game instrumentation and interpret analytics data to improve the user experience.
- 8+ years of experience in the game design role through the full lifecycle of game development from start to finish: concept, design, prototype, production, content creation, testing, polish, launch, and support.
- Possess a strong understanding of turn-based systems and mechanics and level design best practices.
- Experienced implementing narrative within gameplay.
- Understand the unique needs and opportunities developing games for PC and console.
- Enthusiastic for quality gameplay and a familiarity with many games and genres, past and present.
- Passionate for the videogame industry and a desire to grow within it.
- Strong self-discipline, motivated, a self-starter with a drive for excellence at a fast pace.
- Organized, detail-oriented, able to work fast and loose or carefully with quality as needs require.
- Courteous and patient, able to give and receive constructive and inspirational feedback gracefully.
- Able to work effectively with people having a variety of personalities and backgrounds.
- Adaptable: The job can change according to the needs at hand and requires wearing various hats.
- Outstanding documentation, information organization, and cross-referencing skills.
- Strong written, visual, and verbal English language communication and presentation skills.
- Excellent problem-solving skills, resourceful, able to find solutions when needed.
- Able to balance and prioritize tasks to meet deadlines, working within agreed timeframes and budgets.
- Adept and working remotely using various collaboration tools.
- Expert as a Designer in Unity.
- Proficient in Atlassian Jira and Confluence.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Visio.
- Passionate to learn new tools and technologies.
- Authorized to work in USA. H1B transfer and sponsorship are not available at this time.
- Proficient in tools for art (e.g. Adobe), modeling (e.g. Blender, 3ds Max), and design (e.g. Adobe XD).
- Practical knowledge of UML is a plus.
If this sounds like an exciting opportunity for you, please submit both your cover letter and résumé to Seismic Squirrel.