Freelance 3D Modeler (Remote)
Job Title: Freelance 3D Modeler
The Project: A turn-based tactical vehicular RPG videogame set in an alternate history 1930s New York.
Role: Modeling 1930s vehicles and New York architecture.
Experience: Mid-Senior Level, 5+ years of professional work in video games.
Location: North America (Remote)
Company Size: 12
Pay: TBD – Depending on skills and experience.
Job Type: Contract Freelance.
Portfolio Required: All applicants must submit a portfolio demonstrating mastery of 3D modeling principles.
Seismic Squirrel is a close-knit fully remote videogame studio with a passion for developing well-crafted story-based games. Our nimble size allows for everyone to have a voice in the projects we create, demanding the ability to be both detail-oriented and flexible.
We are looking for a creative and resourceful 3D Modeler to join our team. This position involves working within the constraints of our game's systems and mechanics, visualizing the setting and story. It demands a clear understanding of producing 3D models for game development.
The ideal candidate communicates effectively in a small cross-functional team environment, professionally presenting their deliverables to stakeholders for signoff. They should bring a passion for working within an iterative development environment, bringing a collaborative spirit and an enthusiasm for videogames.
This is a remote position which requires regular collaboration online during Seattle-time work hours, attending relevant team meetings (e.g. daily scrum, planning, and design meetings). Occasional calls during late evenings, nights, and early mornings may be expected for international meetings with outside contributors.
For more information about Seismic Squirrel, go to http://www.SeismicSquirrel.com/
- Model high poly hard surface assets, like vehicles, props, weapons, buildings, and other environmental objects.
- Create low poly assets optimized for game engine use, specifically Unity (though experience using Unity is not required).
- UV Map and Texture 3D assets.
- Work with the production team to estimate timelines and schedules, setting goals for both short and long-term planning.
- 5+ years of experience production modeling for videogame development with at least one shipped game in a Modeler role through the full lifecycle of game development.
- A portfolio which demonstrates excellent modeling sensibilities and ability for a range of environmental styles.
- Must be able to work within an established art style and deliver clear and concise production art.
- Possess a strong understanding of visual design principles.
- Hands-on experience integrating 3D models and troubleshooting 3D model issues in Unity.
- Can adapt quickly to change, seeking solutions which leverage work already done to mitigate disruptions to production.
- Strong self-discipline, a motivated, a self-starter with a drive for excellence.
- Organized and detail-oriented, yet able to work fast and loose when needed.
- Courteous and patient, able to give and receive constructive and inspirational feedback.
- Able to work effectively with people having a variety of personalities and backgrounds.
- Excellent problem-solving skills, resourceful, able to simplify complex problems.
- Balance and prioritize tasks to meet deadlines, working within agreed timeframes and budgets.
- Able to work remotely using various collaboration tools.
- Strong written, visual, and verbal English language communication and presentation skills.
- A passion for the videogame industry and a desire to grow within it.
- Proficient in 3D modeling software, although which specific tool is unimportant (e.g. Maya, 3ds Max, Blender, etc.).
- Proficient in UV Mapping and Texturing in a PBR environment.
- Proficient in visual graphics tools: Adobe or Corel.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Visio.
- Passion to learn new tools and technologies.
- Authorized to work in USA. H1B transfers and sponsorship are not available.
- Experience in RPG game development is a bonus.
- Experience rigging is a bonus.
- Experience working within Unity is a bonus.
If this sounds like an exciting opportunity for you and you're located in North America, please submit your cover letter, résumé, and cover letter to Seismic Squirrel.