SOFTWARE Engineer - UNITY
Full time remote within a distributed team
In the world, there are approximately:
9 million animal species
3 trillion trees
1, 000,000 mobile games
7.7 billion humans
Carbon Counts Tech is searching for exceptional humans! We’re looking for a new Software Engineer who is partial to trees, animals, games, the earth, and memorable, impactful experiences. Are you the human we’re looking for? If so, you believe in the power of technology to solve problems and to make the world a better place.
ABOUT CARBON COUNTS (THE COMPANY)
Carbon Counts is an early stage, multi-country, for-profit company on a bold mission to re-green the earth. We believe in the power of people, play, community, and innovation and we are creating memorable, delightful experiences that will have a positive impact on the planet.
ABOUT YOU (AS A HUMAN)
Fuelled by a growth mindset, you’re resourceful and curious—a problem-solver at heart. While you may have your head in code strings much of the time, you are determined to use your growing experience to help build a better world. Through your life experiences, you fully appreciate diversity of thinking and believe that others have different, equally important areas of genius to contribute. A passionate player of games, you’re obsessed with the latest mobile gaming best practices and trends. You may, from time to time, think about how amazing trees are. 🌳🌳
ABOUT YOU AS A SOFTWARE ENGINEER
You are a curious and ambitious engineer on a mission to create memorable experiences. You enjoy being part of a dynamic team and you communicate questions, issues, progress, and wins. Colleagues would say you are confident in your gift for building engaging systems in a start-up environment and you’re really, really good at taking feedback. You’ve shipped at least one game title starting from prototype stage (on Console, PC, or Mobile). With strong experience in front-end gameplay systems, you’re able to adapt your coding style to embrace shared coding standards. You write clean, simple, well-documented code from design requirements—code that’s easy to read and debug. Self-sufficient, if you can’t unblock yourself, you don’t hesitate to ask for help! You care deeply about quality and always consider solutions through a lens of performance, reliability, security, and scalability.
Professionally, you have:
- 1+ years hands-on Unity and C# programming experience, whether this is tinkering on your own indie projects or working on a team
- A Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or equivalent experience
- Interest and ability working both independently and collaboratively in a dynamic team setting
- Some knowledge of the latest mobile gaming trends
- The ability to effectively communicate with technical and non-technical team members
- Some exposure working in Agile, Kanban, or similar project management methodologies
- Some proficiency in both 2D and 3D game development
- Some experience tinkering with 2D user interfaces that can scale across a range of mobile devices and screen sizes
- Exposure to RESTful HTTP data services for authentication, player data, etc.
- Experience with Asset Packages and dynamic content loading
- Exposure experience in front end and gameplay systems. Experience with multiplayer, online, and network systems is a plus
ABOUT THE JOB
You’ll report directly to the CTO and work alongside our engineering team with a diversely talented production team to bring our game to life. You will collaborate with other developers to build game systems, review and
help on their code, and stay current on new coding environments and programming standards. The CTO will help you develop your skills and consider your long-term career goals.
ABOUT THE CARBON COUNTS TEAM
Biodiversity is the word for the varied animals, plants, fungi, bacteria, and other life forms that are connected and intertwined within an ecosystem. The more biodiversity, the stronger the ecosystem. We’re obsessed with the idea of biodiversity—for the planet, and for the team! Currently, we’re a small, mighty team with different, varied roots in different realms. Some of us have come from entertainment (think Disney). Some from game dev (think Adventure Capitalist and Club Penguin). Some from business (think tech start-ups and Lululemon). Some from tech (think Google). Some are in conservation (think Rare.org). All of us are inspired by the possibility of changing the world, one moment, one laugh, one step, one community—one tree at a time.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE IT HERE (COMPENSATION & BENEFITS)
- Very competitive salary
- Excellent employee benefits + a health and wellness spend account
- Equity participation (you own a stake in what you’ll help make!)
- Unlimited paid vacation
- Remote / Work from home / Flexible hours
- Generous training & development allowance; ongoing
**DO I NEED TO MEET ALL CRITERIA TO APPLY?**
Definitely not! If you share our mission of creating memorable, delightful experiences that will have a positive impact on the planet, we’d love to meet you and see what is possible!