We are an indie game studio whose team is united by a shared passion for personal storytelling. Our current project is a narrative-driven 3D adventure game that explores themes of grief and loss. We are seeking a Lead Narrative Designer to join us in our journey.
A Note on the Kind of Person We're Looking For
At our studio, we prioritize creating an inclusive and empathetic approach to game development. We are a diverse group of people from different backgrounds, and we value creating a positive and enjoyable working environment for all team members. As our Lead Narrative Designer, we need someone who is excited about and embraces this empathetic approach.
As our Lead Narrative Designer, you will be responsible for overseeing the narrative direction of the project from planning and development through production. You will work closely with the Creative Director, freelance/part-time writers, and the rest of the Leads (Art Director, Game Designer, Lead Engineer) to ensure that the story is coherent, engaging, and delivered in a way that is intuitive to the player. As Narrative drives the game, your team will be instrumental in determining environments, You must be a team player with excellent communication and leadership skills, attention to detail, technical know-how, and a passion for storytelling.
- Collaborate with the team to refine the narrative direction and vision for the game.
- Develop character and story arcs that are compelling and fit within the game's world.
- Create and oversee the writing of dialogue, scripts, and other narrative elements.
- Integrate voiceover dialogue with gameplay to create a seamless experience for the player.
- Ensure that the narrative is delivered in a way that is engaging and intuitive to the player.
- Collaborate with the team to create and refine the game's tone and style.
- Work with the team to ensure that the narrative is delivered on time and on budget.
- Ensure that the narrative elements are organized and oversee their implementation in the game.
- Minimum 5 years of industry experience as a Narrative Designer or similar role with at least one shipped PC/console game.
- Experience with 3D narrative-driven adventure games.
- Adaptable to established aspects of the plot, setting, and characters, while bringing your own ideas to the table.
- Able to work creatively with constraints, such as budget limitations on character animations.
- Familiarity with game development pipelines and constraints.
- Experience with managing and mentoring a team of writers.
- Ability to work autonomously and manage your own workload.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills.
- An online portfolio demonstrating previous work. Please enclose this with your inquiry email.
- Experience with implementing dialogue and other narrative elements in a game engine, particularly with voiceover.
- Experience with Unreal Engine.
- Interest in exploring themes of grief and loss.
- Interest in history, research, and particularly the Arabian Golden Age.
- Experience with creating or editing video game scripts and cutscenes.
- Beginning ASAP.
- Remote. You will closely collaborate with team members based in Doha, Dubai, and Los Angeles. Due to this, some days may require an offset schedule while maintaining reasonable working hours.