Do you have experience in game development and a particular interest in tools? Insomniac Games is looking for an Engine Programmer to join its Core Technology department and focus on the development of its AAA game engine and tools suite with one of our programming teams. Candidates may be considered at higher seniority levels. This job is primarily individual contribution, with support, peer mentoring, and planning responsibilities as appropriate. You'll be developing ownership over an area of Insomniac's engine and tools suite, creating forward-looking and cutting-edge features to support the needs of the production teams building games such as Marvel's Spider-Man and Ratchet & Clank.
The Core Technology department at Insomniac includes programmers and technical artists who work outside of any direct project schedules and deliverables, offering some independence and self-management to individuals on the team. They maintain close communication with the production teams, ensuring that the engine team has a direct relationship with the people using their tools and tech to build games.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Design and develop game engine technology based on direction or feedback from team leads
- Design and implement efficient low-level systems to support higher-level pipelines
- Design and implement tools that facilitate content creators in developing game assets
- Maintain and update existing systems for increased functionality and performance
- Maintain familiarity with the capabilities and limitations of specific game platform hardware
- Work independently to complete assigned projects with limited supervision
- Document technical implementation details
- Work with production teams to analyze and address development challenges
- Educate production teams on technology and engine functionality
- Respond to bug reports, feature requests, and questions related to engine technology
- Maintain current knowledge of technological developments in the game industry
- Other duties may be assigned
- Knowledge of the game engine landscape and modern engine feature sets
- Experience with game engine programming or a related field
- Strong C++ programming abilities
- Strong verbal and written communication
At SIE, we consider several factors when setting each role’s base pay range, including the competitive benchmarking data for the market and geographic location.
Please note that the base pay range may vary in line with our hybrid working policy and individual base pay will be determined based on job-related factors which may include knowledge, skills, experience, and location.
In addition, this role may be eligible for bonus and SIE’s top-tier benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, matching 401(k), paid time off, wellness program and coveted employee discounts for Sony products. Click here
to learn more.
This is a flexible role that can be remote, with varying pay ranges based on geographic location. For example, if you are based out of Seattle, the estimated base pay range for this role is listed below.