Halfbrick is a game developing studio that is globally recognised for its success with phone games such as Fruit Ninja and Jetpack Joyride. Previously headquartered in Brisbane, Halfbrick is now fully remote and present all around the world. Halfbrick is one of Australia’s longest running and most successful game developers. Our success is built on a culture that encourages passion, enthusiasm, a willingness to learn and an openness towards trying different approaches to how we make games.
Why you’ll love it
We believe our culture is a leading factor to our success and helps us to attract and retain the best talent! We work hard to foster an intensely collaborative, fun, and creative environment, with training and professional growth opportunities at our forefront. We strongly believe and endorse equal opportunity employment and value diversity at Halfbrick. We’re a tight knit crew who celebrate self-expression, and hey, some perks never hurt either.
Here are just a few of the things we like to offer our Bricks:
- Salary sacrificing for phones, laptops, gaming consoles, superannuation and novated lease.
- Career development and mentorship.
- Freedom to work on games you’re interested in.
- 100% company transparency.
- Mental health support.
- Flexible working hours.
- Part time work options.
- Fully remote working.
- We hire globally and all opportunities are available world-wide.
- Quarterly salary reviews.
- Bonus system.
- Open management without bureaucracy.
- Extra leave benefits.
- Loads of social events.
- Awesome rewards and recognition opportunities.
About the opportunity
We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced QA to join our team and help destroy bugs, inconsistencies and glitches in our game experiences!
We pride ourselves on creating games that people remember for a lifetime and believe that comes from having superstar teams. We have an awesome opportunity to work with a team that is transforming game entertainment through quality content and innovative ideas. We are committed to growing our employees, and you will be given the opportunity to grow inside a friendly and professional team. You will be among hard-working, dedicated, and incredibly talented individuals. In order to maintain this, we like to constantly raise our talent bar, and only hire the best! In return for offering us a skill set that is unmatched and a talent for what you do, you’ll be surrounded by company that is incredibly bright, supportive, and creative.
Remuneration for this role is $65,000 - $75,000 AUD.
- Fulfil the QA needs of a single project and coordinate additional resources, if necessary.
- Work both autonomously and collaboratively.
- Stay up to date on all developments that affects QA (company direction, project direction, external requirements design, art, code, technologies).
- Help to skill up other members of the team (lots of people need assistance with various parts of Unity, etc.)
- Eagerness to expand your existing skillset.
- Eagerness to work outside of just QA (contribute to design, art feedback, liveops, but most importantly production)
- Fix low to medium complexity issues.
- Facilitate bugs triage sessions and maintain bugs counts low.
- Implement and improve automated testing.
- Quickly disseminate and adopt new processes and methodology.
- Work with and assist your peers to develop world class content, with a focus on innovation and creativity.
- Actively participate in creative meetings, contributing viable ideas.
- Constructively contribute to team culture through positive attitude.
- Articulate concepts and ideas in a clear and unambiguous way.
- Draw upon personal experience to determine best approach for task completion with an emphasis on reducing cycles of iteration and churn.
- Most importantly, help create awesome games!
- Ability to develop checklists rapidly and repeatedly.
- Broad experience of game genres and deep experience of some.
- Experience with full game development cycle.
- Experience working in a medium to large game company.
- Experience working closely with other disciplines.
- Experience working with small teams.
- Competent in iOS & GP platforms (deploy, test, collect data, use tools).
- Experience with formal external testing (e.g, Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo).
- Competent in Unity.
- Medium level proficiency in C#.
- Comfortable with scripting (e.g. Lua level).
Pluses / Nice to haves
- Tool Builder.
- Experience running a QA team.
- Experience collating user feedback (reviews, tickets) to flag potential bugs.
- Production and scrum master skills.
- Any skills in other disciplines (art, marketing, design, etc.)
- Apple App Store/Google Play release experience.
- Producer experience.
- Knowledge on effective methods to schedule and execute a full game development cycle.
- Knowledge in Agile, Scrum or other project management methodology with teams.
- Ability to document and communicate results utilizing strong written and verbal skills.
- Worked on mobile development, particularly with LiveOps games.
- Experience with Atlassian’s product suite (Jira and Confluence).
- Work with the team to set up milestones, schedule tasks, track progress and highlight risks.
- Work with the team to help define and break down tasks, highlight dependencies and schedule work.
- Ensure timely delivery of milestones while safeguarding quality of work in accordance with pre-defined project schedule.
- Negotiate and provide pragmatic solutions to cross-discipline challenges to ensure that development does not stall.
- Facilitate sprint ceremonies i.e. Sprint Planning, Reviews, Retrospectives to ensure that sprint goals are outlined and met.
- Facilitate communication with team members.
- Ensure that team morale/health is high by encouraging sustainable work habits within the team and pushing for team engagement.
The successful candidate
Perhaps you’ve spent one too many nights up late gaming… Possibly you have a vendetta for fruit… Either way, you love games and more specifically, you love our games, and you want to be part of creating something special! If you think you have what it takes to raise our talent bar, then you're exactly what we're looking for.
Some other bits about you:
- Talented and experienced.
- Confident in your skills.
- Interested and concerned with the details.
- Passionate about mobile games.
- A clear and concise communicator.
- A true team player.
- Poised, not scared to speak up with the team, and mature.
- A proactive and positive thinker.