About Splash Damage
At Splash Damage we're dedicated to forging lifelong friendships, both in the studio and through crafting team-based games.
We are entering the most exciting time in the studio's history, with our largest slate of games in development ever, across multiple genres and platforms.
All of our positions will be onboarded remotely, and work remotely, for a significant part of 2021, as we continue to assess the ongoing and uncertain COVID-19 situation.
We believe people work at their best when they can collaborate in person, but understand that everyone has different needs, and are working on an inclusive flexible policy to reflect that.
Winner of multiple Best Companies Awards, we are advocates for work-life balance, and offer a comprehensive benefits package focused on the well-being of our staff and their families.
This vacancy is open to candidates that currently have a legal right to work in the UK. We cannot provide work permits for our entry level positions at this time.
As Splash Damage’s Assistant Level Designer, you will:
- Work under the supervision of level designers to generate sections of new levels and to maintain existing levels
- Work under the supervision of level designers to collect and analyse playtest data and feedback, and suggest iterations on layouts accordingly, then carry out those changes with approval from level designers
- Understand the core gameplay mechanics, project goals, and target demographic
- Demonstrate a desire for learning, undertaking to understand the technical constraints of the game engine
- Understand and work within the capabilities and workflow of the game editor and level design pipeline
- Focus on gameplay aspects of the map rather than artistic elements
- Present your work to the level designers at various stages and be happy to accept positive critique all team members, regardless of discipline and experience
- Provide positive feedback to other members of the team
- Pro-actively work with the level designers to take on board knowledge, secure mentorship, and review content
- Work with production to provide estimates and ensure deliverables are provided on time and to the required level of quality
- Constantly monitor your assigned bugs and fix issues in a timely fashion to maintain stability and ensure that your levels remain playable at all times
- A passion for making and playing games
- Experience in creating levels for first or third person shooters using 3D level editing tools (Unreal 3/4, Hammer, Radiant, Unity, etc)
- A passion for environment design and architectural concepts
- A desire for learning best practices and processes
Bonus points for:
- Experience working as part of a wider team on a released game or level, for example in a Game Jam or a mod team
- Experience with Unreal 4 and Blueprints
- Knowledge of gameplay event scripting and entity setup
- Experience with design documentation, diagram and flow-chart creation
Splash Damage is an equal opportunity employer. We believe our teams create better work when they have a range of perspectives to draw from, and we are committed to creating an inclusive working environment that celebrates diversity.
BENEFITS & PERKS
HEALTH: Private Medical and Dental Cover for you and your family along with the Babylon 24/7 digital GP service. We also offer onsite counselling and an employee assistant program, along with covering eye tests, gym memberships and more.
HOLIDAYS & SOCIAL EVENTS: With 8 public holidays and an additional 3 day studio Christmas closure our staff have a total of 36 days off. We also offer flexible working hours and regular company social events.
FAMILY FRIENDLY: Industry leading fully paid 30 weeks maternity leave & 10 weeks paternity leave, along with flexitime and life assurance, helps new parents manage their time and put their family first.
PENSION: All of our staff have enhanced company pension contributions, meaning that we invest in your future together.
PROFIT SHARE & REWARDS: We offer generous referral bonuses and 1% of the studio's revenue share after 1 years’ continuous service.
ADDITIONAL PERKS: We have cycle to work and car leasing schemes, a free car park, game and book libraries, complimentary weekly onsite haircuts and discounts at many local businesses.