Job Title: Videogame UI Designer
The Game: A turn-based tactical vehicular RPG set in an alternate history 1930s New York.
Role: Designing, communicating, and implementing the UI design for the Game.
Experience: Mid-Level, 5+ years of professional videogame UI design experience in Unity.
Must have successfully shipped at least one videogame title in the UI Design role.
Location: USA (Remote)
Company Size: 14
Job Type: Contractor
Pay: $35-42 USD per hour – Depends on skills and experience
We are looking for a creative and resourceful Videogame UI Designer to join our team. They will work with the Design and Engineering Teams to design, document, and ultimately implement the game's user interface in Unity, including the creation of mockups, wireframes, storyboards, paint-overs, mind maps, and flow diagrams. This position requires excellent collaboration and communication with various stakeholders. The job demands a clear understanding of the tactical gameplay experience, player needs and expectations, a logical and systemic thinker, an iterative approach to development, a collaborative spirit, and an enthusiasm for this type of videogame.
The ideal candidate is driven to create a fun and cohesive gameplay experience, able to empathize with both new players and with experts of the genre. They are familiar with a vast range of videogames across time and genres, possess a sense of urgency, and enjoy working with talented designers, engineers, authors, artists, and management.
This is a remote contractor position which requires regular collaboration during Pacific-time business hours, attending relevant team meetings (e.g. daily scrum, retrospectives, sprint planning, and design meetings). Occasional calls during late evenings, nights, and early mornings should be expected for meetings with international contributors. Occasional travel to game-related tradeshows such as GDC or PAX may be expected. The option to convert to full-time employee may be available depending on applicant's location, skills, fit, project needs and schedule, and funding.
- Design and implement the user interface for our game in Unity.
- Create various documents and diagrams to communicate the UI design to stakeholders:
mockups, wireframes, storyboards, paint-overs, mind maps, flow diagrams, UI Style Guide.
- Work with the Art Team to integrate images, models, music, voiceovers, and sounds in Unity.
- Actively collaborate with the Design Team on the game concept and overall design.
- Effectively communicate to Engineering details of needed design tools.
- Help document game designs in the GDD, TDD, etc.
- Help devise tutorials, callouts, hover cues, and tooltips to ease new players into the game.
- Help predict, identify, and resolve user experience issues that could detract from player enjoyment.
- Work with Art to devise animations, transitions, and cinematics to enhance gameplay.
- Work with the Test Team to help conduct and interpret user tests to improve the user experience.
- Help devise game instrumentation and interpret analytics data to improve the user experience.
- Maintain outstanding UX quality throughout the game's design and implementation.
- Participate in internal game testing and feedback.
- Openly communicate with team members on progress and problems, define deliverables, and help to set realistic project timelines and expectations.
- 5+ years of experience in game UI design through the full lifecycle of game development from start to finish:
concept, design, prototype, production, testing, polish, launch, and support.
- Expert implementing UI Design in Unity.
- Possess a strong graphic design sense and understanding of visual design principles and best practices.
- Experienced implementing narrative and dialog within gameplay.
- Understand the unique needs and opportunities developing games for PC, console, and mobile.
- Enthusiastic for quality gameplay and familiar with a vast range of games and genres, past and present.
- Passionate for the videogame industry and a desire to grow within it.
- Strong self-discipline, motivated, a self-starter with a drive for excellence at a fast pace.
- Organized, detail-oriented, able to work fast and loose or with care and quality as needs require.
- Patient and kind, able to give and receive constructive and encouraging feedback with humility.
- Able to work effectively with people having a variety of skills, personalities, and backgrounds.
- Adaptable: The job can change according to the needs at hand and requires wearing various hats.
- Outstanding documentation, information organization, and cross-referencing skills.
- Strong written, visual, and verbal English language communication and presentation skills.
- Excellent problem-solving skills, resourceful, able to find solutions when needed.
- Able to balance and prioritize tasks to meet deadlines, working within agreed timeframes and budgets.
- Adept and working remotely using various collaboration tools.
- Proficient in Atlassian (Jira and Confluence) and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Visio).
- Proficient in graphic tools (Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator) and design tools (e.g. Adobe XD, Figma).
- Passionate to learn new tools and technologies.
- Authorized to work in the USA. H1B transfer and sponsorship are not available at this time.
- UI art skills are a plus, including the ability to create final UI assets in collaboration with the Art Team.
- Web design is a plus.
- Practical knowledge of UML is a plus, including familiarity with Activity and State Diagrams..
- Foreign language experience is a plus.
If this sounds like an exciting opportunity for you, please submit your résumé, cover letter, and portfolio to Seismic Squirrel.