Position: Lead Game Designer
Contract/For Hire: Full-time
NUKKLEAR is an independent game development studio based in Hannover with team members working remote from all around the world. We are looking for our next full-time Lead Game Designer to join the team and work on an unannounced AAA title within an already established IP.
As a Lead Game Designer at NUKKLEAR, your day-to-day tasks involve preparing and presenting high- to low-level design goals from and to the director’s board, designing features and taking them through the full development cycle from high-level design to shippable quality as well as maintaining and balancing them.
• Efficient communication of design goals
• Understanding of high-level design request and being able to translate them into low-level design documents
• Taking full ownership and responsibility for features and keeping an eye on dependencies and deadlines
• Collaborate across disciplines and teams to make sure that the features are designed and implemented in the best possible way
• Hands on in-engine work with balancing, prototyping and such
• Balance parameters in the engine and with the help of spreadsheets
• Be as a source of truth for the dev-team, keep an overview of the project and support when questions arise
• Lead a group of designers, managing their workload as well as supporting & mentoring them
• Supervise the design process, and ensure that communication across the teams is clear and structured
• Participate as part of a group of leads, and actively facilitate the decision-making process with stakeholders
• 5+ years of experience in Game Design roles, at least 2 years in a Lead Design role
• Previous experience as a Game Designer in an AAA environment
• Experience with mentorship and development of designers
• Strong understanding of agile development processes, workflows, and tools
• Great understanding of game design fundamentals: game systems, balancing, flow, pacing, motivation, player guidance, etc.
• Great understanding of what makes a gameplay experience engaging
• Great collaboration and problem-solving skills
• Self-reliance, self-motivation, good communication skills, and team-player attitude
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
• Extensive knowledge of UE4 or another comparable AAA game engine
• Strong knowledge of scripting languages, preferably UE4 Blueprint System
• Experience in designing features related to vehicle combat
• Extensive knowledge in open-world, survival, crafting and MMORPG genres
• Experience working remote across different time zones
• Permanent remote position – work anywhere you want, within the core hours of the CEST time zone
• Work with an experienced international team
• A unique opportunity to work on an established Sci-Fi License
• Flexible work-life balance
• 26-30 Vacation days a year
International applications are welcome, but a working permit for Germany is a huge plus.
Please send your complete application documents including work samples, your portfolio, CV, your earliest start date and your salary expectation.